Financial Resources for Medical Care
JUMP TO: National Resources | Local Resources (DC | Maryland | Virginia) | Cats | Dogs | Service Dogs | Disease-specific Resources | Payment Plans & Fundraising
IF YOU NEED HELP TO PAY VETERINARY BILLS...
Work with your veterinarian. Ask your primary vet whether any less expensive treatment option is available. Think about getting a second opinion to compare medical cost. Try to arrange a payment plan. Ask whether the practice would accept services in place of cash. Perhaps an extra hand at the reception desk or in the kennel is needed at times.
Consider going to a vet in a less expensive area or locate a veterinary school with a clinic for low-income clients. The American Veterinary Medical Association has a list of schools by state at www.avma.org/education/cvea/colleges_accredited/colleges_accredited.asp.
Explore animal welfare organizations that offer help to pets needing medical care. These funding programs typically have specific application procedures, eligibility requirements and may be limited to certain breeds, species, diseases, etc.
Helpful links to various types of financial resources follow:
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA:
- Angels of Assisi: Roanoke
- Animal Welfare League of Alexandria: Alexandria
- Animal Welfare League of Arlington: Arlington
Spay/neuter, vaccination and microchip assistance, assistance for emergency veterinary care.
- Bedford Humane Society: Bedford
- Capital Animal Care Mobile Spay/Neuter Clinic: Northern Virginia http://members.petfinder.com/~VA146/index.html
Pet food, supplies and spay/neuter assistance.
- Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA: Charlottesville
Spay/neuter assistance for owned pets and feral cats.
- Fauquier SPCA: Warrenton
- Franklin County Humane Society: Rocky Mount http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/plannedpethoodclinic.html
- The Holly Help Memorial Spay Fund: Bristol
Pet food, spay/neuter assistance.
- Humane Society of Culpeper: Culpeper
- Humane Society of Loudoun County: Purcellville
- Humane Society of Fairfax County: Fairfax
- Loudon County Animal Care and Control CARE Pet Pantry: Leesburg http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1322
- The Loving Spay + Neuter Clinic: Richmond, Central Virginia
- The Mosby Foundation: Deerfield
- Partners Among Cats and Canines: Franklin
Spay/neuter assistance, assistance for emergency veterinary care.
- Richmond SPCA: Richmond and the surrounding counties of Chesterfield, Hanover, Henrico and Goochland
Free and low-cost spay/neuter services, affordable pet wellness clinics, free pet pantry, free behavior support, low-cost temporary off-site boarding for pets.
- Roanoke Valley SPCA: Roanoke
- Share the Love Pet Food Bank
Pet food for animal shelters and low-income families.
- Shenandoah Valley Spay and Neuter Clinic: Harrisonburg
- South Central Spay/neuter Clinic: Evington
- Spay and Neuter Us Inc., Falls Church
- Spay Inc.: Northern Virginia
- SPCA of Martinsville and Henry County: Martinsville
- Virginia Beach SPCA: Virginia Beach
Pet food, assistance for necessary veterinary medical care.
- The Virginia Kincheloe Spay/Neuter Clinic, Fredericksburg
Low-cost spay/neuter, microchips.
- Voices for Animals: Charlottesville
Pet food, spay/neuter and vaccination assistance.
- Cats in Crisis
Offers grants for cats with kidney disease, thyroid disease or cardiac conditions, or neurological conditions or mobility impairments such as Cerebellar hypoplasia, paraplegia, and limb malformations.
- Cody's Club (radiation treatments)
Limited to eligible non-profit institutions such as university veterinary hospitals.
- Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Program
Medical costs for life-threatening illness or injury. Limited to recipients of State Medicaid, Medicare, or Social Security only income; a public assistance program; or unemployment benefits.
- Kobi's Fund for VAS Cats (part of FVEAP) http://mysite.verizon.net/shortionline/kobi/kobi_fund6.html
Funds for cats with Vaccine Associated Sarcoma (VAS). VAS is a group of cancers caused by vaccinations.
Affordable spay/neuter services.
DOGS – BREED-SPECIFIC ASSISTANCE:
- CorgiAid (Cardigan Welsh, Pembroke Welsh and corgi mixes)
Assists rescue dogs. Applicants must be fostering the dog with intent, once the dog is healthy and a suitable home is found, of rehoming that dog to a permanent home.
- Dougal's Helping Paw (Scottish Terriers, West Highland White Terriers and other small, short-legged terriers)
- LABMED (Labs or lab mixes)
Assists rescue dogs. Emergency medical expenses for abandoned or rescued cases.
- Labrador Life Line
Assist eligible Labs, owned or in rescue, with medical treatment, transportation needs, boarding costs, or other special needs that will enable the Lab to find a home and to live out its life surrounded by people who love it.
- Pit Bull Rescue Central
Participates in fundraising to help pay vet costs and provides medical treatment within certain guidelines.
- Pyramedic Trust (Great Pyrenees)
- Richmond Neuter Project: Richmond (pit bulls and pit bull mixes)
Spay/neuter assistance, license and rabies vaccination assistance for pit bulls and pit bull mixes.
- Special Needs Dobermans
Assistance to eligible Doberman owners and rescuers.
- WestieMed, Inc. (West Highland White Terriers or Westie mixes)
Monetary assistance toward non-routine immediate medical care, treatment or medications for abandoned, rescued, or recent adoption cases (up to 6 months) and for whom no other funding is available or is insufficient.
PAYMENT PLANS AND FUNDRAISING: